Six months after discovering this paleo porridge recipe I still get excited about it, even after having it for breakfast nearly every day since!
Apart from the awesome nutritional content, this porridge can be ‘instant’ as well. On a recent month long trip away, we stowed a batch of the powder in a suitcase along with some dried cranberries and a couple of gorgeous collapsible silicone bowls that stacked flat for ease of packing. With the addition of a little boiling water, we were able to ensure our bodies received enough of the right kind of nutrition without having to resort to those ghastly breakfast buffets in the hotels.
By consuming this porridge, your body is receiving the right kinds of dietary fibre, antioxidants, numerous vitamins as well as Magnesium, Zinc, plant-based Omega-3’s, phytoestrogens, amino acids & it has anti-inflammatory ability. Some of the ingredients also help to regulate insulin.
I quite like the gluggy, stretchy texture but do appreciate that some people might need to take some time to get their head around this. And I forgive the porridge for its colour, given how much energy it provides – if this bothers you, then you might like to work with the presentation as you plate up. For example, think of Pomegranate, organic berries, goji, dried fruits … use your imagination! 🙂
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon pumpkinseeds
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon psyllium husks (can adjust volume as preferred)
- ¼ cup walnuts
- 1 heaped teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon celtic sea salt (I like things salty, so you may want to adjust this)
- 1 cup boiling water (you may prefer to use almond milk, or even 50/50 almond milk + water)
- Combine all dry ingredients in a Vitamix or high powered blender & whiz until powdered
- Place ¼ level cup of powder per person in saucepan, add boiling water/almond milk till you have your desired consistency
- Bring to a low simmer (I prefer simmer to boil so as to preserve those lovely oils)
- Transfer porridge to a bowl & garnish with cranberries, banana, raisins, sunflower seeds or treats of your choice. You might like to melt an elegant dollop of organic butter over the top just before serving. Yum!
- Serve and enjoy!
** I make double the amount shown above, powder the ingredients then store in a glass jar in fridge so I don’t have to grind it up every day. It might be best to store it in the fridge to preserve the oils.
(Original recipe from: https://elanaspantry.com/gluten-free-porridge)